Raise.your.hands.
That was the question raised by our Priest at the First Communion, Jesus Day today. There were many people that raised their hands. Then it was opened up for feedback.
Here are the reasons people are upset with society.
"My child is disrespectful"
"My child only thinks about what he/she needs"
"Every song and TV show is focused on sex"
"children are mean to one another"
There were many more that were said, but these were the ones that stood out to me. The Priest commented on all of the examples listed. He told us that that is why it is so important that we come to Mass and instill morals in our children and families. Come weekly and it is the only way that your children will not be bogged down by society.
I disagreed with most of these examples. I too, raised my hand. But, not for these reasons.
I feel like society is a bad place because of the parents not being parents, which in turn causes children who are disrespectful. Parents a lot of times are not interested in disciplining their children. I have been to public play places and there are children who will pounce all over mine and their parents say absolutely nothing. So, if you are not going to instill these things.....respect, thinking of others, then they aren't going to do it. If there is sex in every TV show and song, I must be missing it because I don't see that to be the case.
Amen sister! I do go to church faithfully...yet I know lots of families that have very respectful well raised kids that don't go, so I really don't think that church is the ONLY way to teach these values and morals. I agree with you that parents are not taking responsibility where it's due. But I guess it's easier to blame someone else for your child's problems then work to fix them.
ReplyDeleteI see a lot of "My child doesn't need my guidance" followed by "My child is rude". DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! It's YOUR child, if you see YOUR child being rude FIX them!
ReplyDeleteLike Amanda said, to many people are not being a PARENT, but when their child starts to show the additude that NOT HAVING A PARENT'S GUIDANCE causes, the parent is all "It's society, It's TV" how about it's the lack of PARENTING.
Sorry I get really annoyed by this topic. Less whine, more parent got it?
I don't go to church, you don't NEED church to raise good kids. Sure, it may help some families, but it's not something that without one, you can't get the other...
(Not directed at you Tracy at all! You're an AWESOME Mom!)
I also see a lot of this. A LOT! I used to baby sit some kids, the most disrespectful, disruptive children you can imagine. Their mother instead of teaching, and playing with the children threw them outside. Then can't understand why her children were so rotton. *eyeroll*
ReplyDeleteWe are the parents it is up to us to teach them morals, values, respect.
I also do not attend church, I was raised in a very religious family, those morals and values rubbed off on me, and I do try to teach my own children what I learned. Simple rules of life, treat them as you want to be treated, respect, manners etc.
I could say more, but this isn't my blog, so I will stop now. =0)
We just finished a parenting class at our church a couple of months ago...it was GREAT! Really focused on us taking the responsibility on all levels!
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that makes me nervous about society is things that I cannot control. Like when they go to school, the kids that they are socializing with, interacting with, and communicating with on a daily basis. These are the same kids that the parents think it's the school's responsibility to raise the child and that they think their kids are rude, but don't do anything about it as a parent. The same ones that don't talk to their kids, disciple their kids, and parent their kids. So, THAT is what makes me nervous about my children in society!
I have to agree with everyone else. It's all up to the parents. And if the song/show has sex or violence in it, no one forcing you to listen. Change the station, turn off the tv!
ReplyDeleteBTW - this is Bethany. :)