Tuesday, January 5, 2010

UP

Yes, I am talking about the Disney/Pixar movie. Recently....a couple of days ago I sat down with my girls, Xander and Dave to watch this movie.

I was shocked at the first ten minutes. I found it to be terribly sad and sadder even when my 8 year old asked why they were showing a Mom losing her baby. I don't know which bothered me more.....that my small daughter knows that Mom's can lose babies or that a company that is making children's movies put a scene where the Mom lost her baby. Both suck if you ask me.

After the first sucky ten minutes of the movie, there is a good message. But, I'm fairly certain I will never watch it again.

4 comments:

  1. i just watched UP too (but you already know that! :) ) & i loved it. it is sad initially, but has such a wonderful message. i think we'll disagree on this one, & that's ok-- every parent is their own best judge of what their kids can tolerate in a film. but to my mind, death & loss are a part of life. i have lost babies, & i have lost family members i loved deeply & miss terribly, so i understand grief, as leaast as it exists for me. (i would never presume to understand another's grief, we all grieve in our own ways.) but i think that the knowledge that we have only a finite amount of time with those we love is part of what makes life so precious. & i don't think that's too solemn a lesson for children. of course, it is each parent's right to decide when their kids are ready for that lesson, but i actually think UP was an appropriate and tasteful children's movie. perhaps not for very small kids, but again, that's up to parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never watch it again. While loss is a part of life, having my children being reminded by a blindside that they lost their brothers (not to mention my own blindside) was not something I appreciated at all.

    While I understand your points Kate, I disagree. While the movie as a whole put out a great point, to appreciate life, for me, it was to much. It just wasn't suitable (IMO) for a childrens movie to have a baby (or pregnancy if you wish, which to me = baby no matter what the stage of the pregnancy) be lost. FOr those children who have lost a sibling in a similar fashion, it's a reminder. When the wounds are scabbed over, UP rips them right back off for the children who are old enough to understand, and to me, that's not fair, not to the child,and not to the parent who now has to sooth their child all over again (and especially NOT for the child who gets set down in front of the TV without the parents even KNOWING it's there, and they now revisit the pain without the comfort all over again), and revisit their own grief. Not ok by me. When you sit down to watch a childrens movie, it shouldn't leave you wounded and heartbroken all over again, no matter how sweet or tender the ultimate message is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i thought there'd be some "agree to disagree" on this one. i understand your points, guys, but i stand by my original post. & in the end, it's up to us as parents to make the call for our own families.

    ReplyDelete