Let me preface by saying that I don't agree with abortion or plan B, I think life starts with conception. I wouldn't do either,but in some circumstances I suppose it's a good thing to be available.
I'm talking about the emergency contraceptive. I was on Webmd reading some posts and a boyfriend posted about his girlfriend taking it for the last two months after having sex, she is worried about long term effects, future pregnancies...etc. Here is the problem I have with it.....Why are people taking it every month? If you don't want to get pregnant you have a few choices.......1. being the most obvious, don't have sex. and 2. use some kind of protection, I don't care what it is, use it, that is what they are there for.
Because, here is the thing, do they even know what the long term effects are? I mean you take it every month, then what? Can you keep getting pregnant? It seems like common sense, if you don't want to get pregnant use protection every month rather than taking something after the fact. I know things happen, but this is not one of those things.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow... yeah, I think that's a little crazy... I agree there are times when it may be warranted (i.e. a rape situation), but using it every month? no. That's why they made BCP and condoms. It's common sense, IMO.
ReplyDeleteYeah that's a bit much...and what is really sad is that so many girls think so much about pregnancy they forget about STDs...and the morning after pill isn't going to help with those!
ReplyDeleteWell, I do not agree with abortion, but plan b is really something different to me....here's why (IMO)
ReplyDeleteIf taken as it's directed, and within te time frame that you are supposed to use it within(72 hours) odds of conception are really not there, the longer you wait before you take it, the higher the odds. i know this because I took it once, and I read up on EVERYTHING i could find about it, because well, I don't believe in abortion. I felt comfortable after doing my research. Turned out I didn't need it, as AF arrived shortly after, but then again, I was less then 4 weeks pp after the twins, so yeah, another pregnancy at that time, not ideal.
ANYWAY...to use it as a REGULAR form of BC? No, I agree, that is not ok. It will eventually mess with your system, it's a REALLY high dose of progesterone, and even though there have been no studies done, I wouldn't be comfy taking it more then, oh, once in a blue moon, heheeee.
If you are worried, like you said, get on a more regular form of BC, whether it be BCP or condoms, or flat out abstinence.
Wow for once, I actually have nothing to say. It is not a secret, I am well I am confused as some people say. For myself I am pro-life, there isn't a question in my mind what choice I would make and have made.
ReplyDeleteBUT I do not feel it is my right to tell you or anyone else what to do with your choices or your body. But I don't want to know.
So that is where I stand, I don't want to know.
I hope you aren't offended or confused by what I am saying. I also don't think it's my right to say you can't do something or use something. Like I said I think it is fine to be used in circumstances(or by your discretion) but I don't understand why someone would use it as a form of birth control.
ReplyDeleteIiri I have not done alot of research on it, so I wasn't aware of that. Is there a limit on how far along you can be to take that?
So anyway I hope I didn't offend.
Thanks for sharing that info Iiri, I didn't know that. :) But still, like you said, as it is such a high dose of pro, it can't be good to take on such a regular basis...
ReplyDeleteNo, no, no, I wasn't bothered by it, I didn't feel you were saying hey I am pro-life, you can't take this pill. I was just surprised I didn't have anything to say. I normally have strong feelings either way, but on this topic none really. I guess I just don't see it as the "abortion pill".
ReplyDeleteHad this post been, my girlfriend has had two abortions in the last two months, then yes I would be more vocal. That I do not agree with, and in the same sense I would guess this would be the same thing?
Uhhhh, I don't know what to say either. This girl needs a slap in the face from the doctor that has given her the plan B...I hope this doctor discussed birth control options with her! That's what she needs! Plan B is NOT birth control. Hello spermicides, condoms, the pill, barriers, ANYTHING! THAT is birth control!
ReplyDeletePlan B does not end a pregnancy...it is designed to try to get the body to make it difficult for conception. It does all the same stuff that the mini-pill does, just after the fact, and in one (or two in the case of other similar products) MEGA dose(s), and it is to be taken as soon after sex as possible and within 72 hours, after that time frame, it's not effective.
ReplyDeleteEven on the box (website) it says it's not to be used as birth control...
Oh,Michelle, I don't know if you'll come back to this post or not...
ReplyDeleteIn my state, Plan-B is OTC, you don't need to see a doctor for it at all, which I disagree with but ~shrugs~. If you are under 16 (I think it's 16? maybe younger?) you need a doctor for it, but I can walk in and get some right now if I wanted to,
I think taking it two months in a row is crazy she needs bc . But also you dont have to have a percription to get it if you are 17 and older.
ReplyDelete