I went and saw my RE again today. I had my Saline Infused Sonogram(SIS) and had 9 tubes of blood drawn. I was really nervous about the SIS, but it turns out it wasn't that bad at all.....quick and painless!
So, the doctor saw the fibroid that is taking up much of my uterine wall, it has shrunk slightly since a month ago when I last had it checked, almost 1cm and has shrunk by half since losing Zoe in May. RE's recommendation is to take it out.
This is an outpatient surgery pending all goes well and bleeding is at a minimum. It requires a 2 inch incision and a 4 week recovery time. Four weeks! Can you imagine, 4 weeks not lifting the kids, or doing strenuous activity!
There are some risks that come along with the surgery, if the bleeding is not under control, they will take my uterus and I will have to have a complete hysterectomy(RE is thinking the chance is low of this because while the fibroid I have is very large, there is only one in there). I will have to most likely have c-sections with any and all future pregnancies because of the risk of uterine rupture.
Dave and I talked about it in length tonight and we think that we are going to go ahead with this surgery. Best case scenerio it comes out and I try again after waiting my two cycles, get pregnant, carry healthy pregnancy to term and welcome a gorgeous baby into this world about 9 months later!! Worst case, I go into to get it removed and end up with a hysterectomy. BUT....if I don't have to surgery, chances are I will lose any pregnancy from now on, it is just not helping my fertility at all. And, another plus is that my periods will be better, no more bleeding through my clothes all the time.
So, there you go, I will go in for surgery in about a month. I have to wait for my next cycle and then it will be scheduled. I need to talk with my OB and figure out who I want to do the surgery. I love my OB, I really do and he said he could do the surgery, he specializes in it, but I like the RE as well, he is a specialist as well, so I just need to decide who I am more comfortable with.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have so much in common. I've had this surgery. My fibroid was 15 pounds. I had an incision from the pelvic line up 2 inches PAST my belly button to get it out and still managed to keep my uterus. That was 10-2001. you know the rest of my story and that my uterus has been opened 3 times since (twice after this surgery and before K and 1 her c/s)I will be praying for you. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDelete