Friday, September 18, 2009

Stay at home moms



This article to me is a funny one, and I love the response that was given by the writer. I once had a friend ask(from her husband) "what does she do all day? She only has two children, how hard could it possibly be to take care of her kids and keep a house clean?" As any stay at home mom knows your day is a crazy one and starts from the minute ......

1. you wake up on your own, you know birds chirping and of course you are in your floor length beautiful white night gown, arms stretched wide, from your night of restful sleep
.

or

2. you are awoken to three(in my case) screaming children who are all yelling for something different. This, of course, comes after a night of 5 trips to the potty(2 of which are for yourself, because after all, your bladder is just not what it used to be, since having children) and a few trips to the kitchen because the littlest guy needs duice(water), because he is oh, so, thirsty.

So, the day begins...get up Mom time to start off running. You make sure backpacks are packed, every one's clothes need to be out and showers need to be done. If breakfast is not on the table by 7:15am someone will be screaming CEREALLLLLLLLLLL.....Momma.....CEREALLLLLLLLL!!! This of course is Xander. So, on with the day, lunches packed, I of course am still in my pajamas, and not a beautiful white night gown, it would be an old(at least 3 years) tshirt of Dave's that I threw on the night before. It is now 8:30 and I am running around the house looking for a hair brush, which I finally find at 8:40 get everyone finished and out the door. Sadie arrives at school with 2 minutes to spare.....GO MOM!

After dropping Paige off at school we are leaving and Xander is very enticed by the baptismal font that is calling his name...."come to me Xander, come and splash in my holy water" And, so, he does. I remind him, only one hand Xander, he of course dips both, splashes(just a little) and proceeds to do the sign of the cross with his right hand "fader..son..sprite" then, because the other hand is wet, what else to do but put it in his mouth and suck it off!

Now, off to the store. This is one of Xander's favorites. Into the store and he requests "I walk" Ok, you walk but no touching. So we go through the store, and he of course touches everything and in the bread aisle, this never fails, he touches each loaf and also takes bite out of every fifth bag. We check out, this of course is every child's playground...curse the grocery store people.

After picking up Paige we head home and do lunch. Then I look around the home and see it is a disgusting pig sty. So I start to clean. Anyone with children knows that if you have little ones, particularly two year olds, loading the dishwasher is a 45 minute task. I load, he unloads. Because they are dirty dishes, once he is finished unloading, I have to wash the kitchen floor, because there is dish "juice" all over the floor....ICK.

Time to get Sadie, they love to walk, it's about a mile, and good exercise, so I say, why not?! Once on our way, I realize why not. Because Paige always wears the wrong shoes, trips and hits the sidewalk at least 5 times. Xander is upset because he should be walking, and if he is not he should, at the very least, be holding Paige's hand. The walk takes 20mins, not too bad, right.....that is until we get Sadie, everyone is terribly tired from the walk there so the walk home is 40mins. By the time I arrive at home all I want to do is lie down and sleep, but alas it is time to make dinner.

So, I will not bore you with the rest of the details, you get the idea. But, I will add, that while I am doing all of these tasks, I do give myself some time to go to the restroom, I do however not remember the last time I have done that on my own. Xander usually is joining me. If he is not chattering about how he needs to peepee, he is unrolling all the toilet paper so that Mommy has enough. Also, add in several diaper changes, spilled juice cups, bumped heads, runny noses, scrapped knees and restless(napless) children.

This unmarried, childless women, this is what a stay at home Mom does all day long. So, if you don't receive an email from your friend who sits home and does nothing all day long, while taking care of her children, it is like the article said, she is taking those 5 minutes to close her eyes and reflect on the day. I hope that one day, when you have children, whether you work or stay home, you experience the business of a mother's day, but mostly the joy!

2 comments:

  1. I was laughing so hard at your description that Stephen asked if I was ok!!! I have never heard that side of you before! I love it!!! You are so funny. :0)

    ReplyDelete